Subject: [Leica] Re: The "film" look
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Dec 2 20:34:19 2006

On Dec 2, 2006, at 10:20 PM, Ted wrote:

> Digital is digital and if one is into it, then get a completely
> digital life
> and get on with it! Is one not some kind of masochist by making
> their images
> look like film? I can see doing the film look if digital gave ugly
> results,
> but for my money digital produces beautiful prints the likes one
> can't do in
> the dark room no matter how many years they've had their hands in
> the soup,
> stop bath and fixer!

Right on Ted. But take your premise a bit further. EVERYTHING seen on
the LUG is digital regardless of the means used to capture the image.
Film is scanned, the image digitized and converted to a JPEG format,
transmitted in itty bitty bytes to Brian's server, where it is
reassembled and digitally resized, then retransmitted digitally to
our computers where it is further digitally massaged by our software
and presented as a digital image on our monitors. If you display your
work on a computer screen, you are doing digital photography. If you
want to be a film purist, make silver gelatin prints and display them
on the wall.

Larry Z