Subject: [Leica] The Epson RD 1 - a lemon
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Nov 29 23:34:11 2006

Lovable? My conclusion first: I would not buy it again, and I would not
recommend to any LUGger to buy neither a new nor a used one.

I bought mine in may 06 from Robert White in UK. RF was out of alignment at
infinity and at close up. Sent it to Epson Switzerland (whose service
department is outsourced to a company where they had never seen such a
camera before). Got the camera back after 7 (!) weeks - poorly packaged,
disalignment even worse than before. Did not have the nerves to send it back
to them, so I sent it on my costs to DAG Wisconsin, who did a fine job
within a few days. After some more time I noticed almost all of my pictures
were tilted. I inspected the camera again, and found out the sensor ist not
built in correctly - it's tilted, clearly visible by eye when opening the
shutter with B! And to make framing even more tricky, the framelines are
slightly tilted, too - the other way! Not enough, I had a massive hot pixel
issue (correction did not help much), and the batteries (new, original) did
not work for more than 75-100 shots while it should be 250 (Raw+jpg, LCD
off, shortest energy saving time). I contacted RW in UK and described my
problems. They wrote to Epson UK and did not receive a satisfactory answer
within two months(!!)... Now I lost my patience and shipped the camera back
to RW. Don't know what will happen. Probably it's gonna take months. Maybe
they can repair it, maybe they replace it, maybe I get the same lemon back.
Or another lemon.

I regret having spent that money as I got no value for it. Definitely feel
cheated.

Happy to use the M6 again, but very angry about the crappy QC and service of
Epson. These guys would have better stayed with consumer printers and inks,
where people do not care that much about quality and service as Leica users
do.

The digital M would have come anyway, if R-D1 or not.

Didier

Replies: Reply from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] The Epson RD 1 - a lemon)