Subject: [Leica] Re: bless me lug for I have sinned
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon Nov 27 21:02:18 2006

It's clear to me that you guys learned your confessional dialog from movies.
RC confession in North America went like this, and it works best to be
kneeling:

You say "Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been (amount of time)
since my last Confession".

Then you say what you did, and try to sound penitent. Confess to the most
dire things first, and be precise. The priest is supposed to get you to be
quantitative.

Then you say "For these and all the sins of my past life I am truly sorry".

Then the priest assigns you some penance, and you say an Act of Contrition
such as:

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you and I detest all my
sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell. But most of
all because I have offended you, my God, who are all good and deserving of
all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of your grace, to confess my
sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.

The priest will, unless your sins are really out of control, pronounce
absolution, at the end of which you cross yourself. A traditional absolution
is:

"God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son
has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for
the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you
pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the
Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

He sometimes ends with "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good," to which
you say "For His mercy endures forever." If he says "Allah akhbar", which
means more or less the same thing in another language, it's probably best to
leave quickly.

I'm Anglican, not Roman Catholic, but I read a lot and most countries that I
visit don't have Anglican churches in them.

I'm the closest thing we've got to a priest in this sorry saloon, so I guess
it's my job to assign penance and pronounce absolution. Your penance is to
post good photographs and to enter the monthly contest.

Replies: Reply from wlarsen at ocsnet.net (Bill Larsen) ([Leica] Re: bless me lug for I have sinned)
Reply from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] Re: bless me lug for I have sinned)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: bless me lug for I have sinned)