Subject: [Leica] OT: Driving in Snow
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Nov 27 15:47:19 2006

At 05:53 PM 11/27/2006, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

 >Going in snow is no big deal. It's the stopping that is the problem.

Absolutely.  I grew up in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, home to a LOT of snow -- rarely
anything heavy, but it was not uncommon in my
youth for us to have 10" (25cm) over two or three
falls in a week, with the next week doing the
same.  I now live in Virginia, where we tend to
get a LOT of snow at once -- every four or five
years, we'll get 20" (50cm) over a 36-hour
window.  It will melt within a couple of days as
some 68F (20C) (and just who notes the
photographic connection here?) -- but we do have
fun in the meantime, with all of these folks who
just do not understand that to drive in snow, you
get to a speed, maintain course, and pick your
course so that you do not need to stop.  Avoid
major roads.  Avoid stoplights.  Be VERY careful
but, whenever possible, ignore stop-signs:  if
you drive at night, you can see if there is
oncoming side traffic by looking for
headlights.  DO NOT STOP:  once you stop, getting
started again may be a bitch.  Once you are going, stopping can be a horror.

The trick is to drive four or six blocks ahead
and to plan very carefully.  Plan on dropping
your speed when you come to your house or else
you might end up plowing through that plate-glass
window in your living room and confusing your dog no end!

And, for God's sake, do not go to the Grocery
Store  This is the great Social Occasion for the
un-snow-cool USians.  When the Weather Guys tell
us a snowstorm is coming, the Lemmings all tromp
off to the local Kroger or Fred Meyer to load up
on bread and eggs and bacon as if the new Ice Age
is coming:  guys, this IS the age of Global
Warming!  Now, if you want to pick up some really
good raw oysters or escargot or kippered herring
at your nearest Fresh Market, well, that is a
totally different thing, AND they play classical
music in the background, generally Mozart or
Hayden or Bach, and not the Golden Oldies favored by Kroger.

Stay dry.  Stay warm.  Avoid getting
stuck.  Avoid a horizontal divergence
malfunction.  And always check out the Weather
Channel or Accuweather some days in advance and
arrange a prompt visit to the Class VI store as appropriate!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!