Subject: [Leica] M8: "I think it's going to be all right" -- NOT!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Nov 25 21:26:32 2006

On 11/25/06 7:44 PM, "grduprey@mchsi.com" <grduprey@mchsi.com> typed:

> Adam,
>
> But then he likes the RD-1, which also has a LCD acreen, which you have to
> fold out to see, it has manual wind, which just about everyone who has
> used it
> hates or feels it is poor for a digital camera, it has limited manually
> selected frame lines, and from the reports I have seen very poor
> reliability.
> And he hates the M8 because it has a modern shutter with auto cocking,
> faster
> shutter speeds, faster flash sync, auto frame line selection  of the
> equivilent of the standard M frame line set and M characteristics,
> although a
> bit thicker and reliability which is expected to be similar to previous M
> cameras if Leica has kept to their usual build quality, which from most
> reports on build quality and materials is expected.  Something is just not
> right with his tirade.  Yes there are problems, but from what I have read
> here
> and on the Rangefinder Forum, there are few who cannot work with the short
> commings and wait for Leica to fix the problems.  Most have found software
> fixes for!
>   the co
> lor shift and are very happy with the photos and the handling of the
> camera,
> ref. Tina, Ted and others right here on our group.  He needs to better
> explain
> his reasons for this severe hate of the camera, give examples in photos
> etc.
> Otherwise he seems to be a quorum of one in his desire to trash the camera.
>
> Gene

Me too!
Both Adam and Gene!
There's something not quite kosher in Denmark in this tirade which insults
many of us and Leica with nothing to back it up.
Fishy!
And in ten years on the LUG I'm cant think of a precedent for it.
But one can look at the website and the Blog...

And the amazing opinion of the famously failed but perhaps barley adequate
R1D1 being a superior camera to the Leica M8 and that fills it in well
enough.

I'd like to see some of those pictures which didn't come out!:)

I'm sure we've seen this
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0611/06112402leicam8fixes.asp

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY