Subject: [Leica] IMG: PAW 43 - Architecture HELP NEEDED
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Nov 25 10:08:27 2006

At 11:32 AM +0000 11/25/06, Peter Dzwig wrote:
>Dear LUG,
>
>Two views of the interior of the same building: Richard Rodger's St.
>Katahrine's House
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album347/StKatharinesHouse-2200611.jpg.html
>
>and
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album347/StKatharine_sHouseInterior.jpg.html

Peter,

There are a couple of issues here. The first is that neither picture
has a real focus. Your eye kind of wanders all over without finding
anything to lock on. Rodger's building are all extremely
mechano-complexo, so that makes it hard, but you have to try and find
simple, strong elements that can carry the picture and not let your
eye wander off the page.

The second thing is that neither picture is exactly lined up. The
problem is that both are very close, especially the second, and that
kind of requires (usually) that you do the final correction and keep
the horizontals truly horizontal and the splayed lines mirror images
of each other. PS makes this sort of correction easy now. Or make it
definitely non-symmetrical, and then choose a strong angle.

The third thing is that for this type of picture, a wider angle would
have helped, because that would have defined the converging lines a
lot better, and made the elements at the ends of those lines of
lesser importance, and not fighting with the lines. At the moment
they are too equal in strength, and that is a function of the focal
length. You could also, of course have chosen a longer focal length
and med the end elements the stronger ones.

These sort of pictures are tough to do with a handheld 35mm camera,
but Photoshop can now do things that had to be done formerly on a LF
groundglass, so it is possible.

All that said, and partly for the above reasons, the second
(HousInterior.jpg) works better for me, because there is a bit more
of a focus.

Thanks for showing. I'll always look at pictures of architecture. :-)
I've seen other pictures of this building, and yours add to the
understanding of that building.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design