Subject: [Leica] OT idle curiousity and the infinite magic of software
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat Nov 18 15:41:59 2006

At 04:21 PM 11/18/2006, you wrote:

>>  but you get at least the  prize for the most difficult words per
>> square line ;-)
>
>I imagine the charred carcass of an overheated thesaurus smoldering
>on the floor not far from his keyboard.

My favorite software thesaurus/dictionary is by Babylon.  You can
highlight any word and click with the wheel on your mouse and an
automatic box comes up with definition, etymology, and possible
synonyms.  I use it all the time when keywording photos for stock.

etymology
   noun (plural etymologies) an account of the origins and the
developments in meaning of a word.

[]

etymological adjective
etymologically adverb
etymologist noun
etymologize or etymologise verb

[]

ME: from OFr. ethimologie, via L. from Gk etumologia, from etumologos
'student of etymology', from etumon, neut. singular of etumos 'true'.

etymology
   noun DERIVATION, word history, development, origin, source.

It is well worth the price:  http://www.babylon.com/

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com