Subject: [Leica] M8: "I think it's going to be all right" - transposed to Canon, Nikon, etc. etc.
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Nov 18 15:17:41 2006

B. D.:

Everything you say has merit.  And in a perfect world, with perfect
engineering, a variety of digital RF cameras to choose from, and a
corresponding perfect moral universe, I'd agree.

BUT. . .  this is not a perfect world, and the digital camera marketplace
is a decidedly bad-assed place dominated by a few giants, none of whom give
a damn about RF cameras.  One of them *is* its own supply chain, and has
successfully defined to the consumer what digital photos "ought" to look
like, according to its own strengths (noise reduction) and weaknesses
("plastic" texture).

Leica decided to go for maximum resolution, a reasonable thing to do given
their long-time strength, and the smeary fine details of most DSLRs.  The
price to be paid, if we believe their explanations (which sound
reasonable), is that to get the maximum resolution and corner performance,
the IR filter on the sensor had to be too weak for accurate color rendition
under some circumstances.

(Aside--if the M8 contributes to the decline of polyester in clothing, so
much the better!   :-)

Yes, they "should have" come clean about the IR issue beforehand, like they
did about the anti-aliasing filter and possible occasional moire.  The way
things appear to have been handled must smell very bad, especially to
anyone with a journalistic background.  It does to me, too.

But given the realities of the digital marketplace and the Internet,
knowledge of the need for external IR filters might have sunk the camera
before it ever hit the streets.  It's also possible that Leica's testing
was limited, and they didn't know how bad the problem would be in the real
world.  I know that I missed it, looking at some of the early samples.  So
did Sean Reid.  And we now see that other cameras have the same problem (to
a lesser degree), including the R-D1, which has been out for a couple of
years.   So did several Nikon DSLRs. It barely made a blip in the general
photo press.

The witholding of information at LL is more of a problem.  But again, look
at what happens when an early review is negative.  Take the example of the
Oly E-300.  It got slammed due to a substandard JPG engine.  Olympus fixed
it in a firmware upgrade, but the camera never recovered from the bad
press.  Would we want that to happen to the M8, especially considering
Leica's recent financial issues, and the lack of other RF alternatives?  I
would not want to be in MR's shoes, as it must have been a difficult
decision.

Leica is a niche market.  I have dealt with a lot with niche market
software in my work.  It is often buggy, you often have to deal with
workarounds, the companies sometimes deny that a problem exists even after
you've proven it.  This may just be something we have to accept in the RF
digital world.  I wish it were not so, but. . .   Trust me, I've dealt with
problems that have much worse solutions than something that can be cured by
a few IR filters.

I have never been a no-filter fundamentalist.

When I say "it's gonna be all right," what I mean is that the M8 has some
real strengths, that may make it worth it for some of us.  And the problems
look to be soluable.  The questions for me are these:  Do I want a camera
that will finally let me shoot digital with my Leica and VC lenses,
focusing and viewing the way I prefer to (and unlike the R-D1, allowing me
to see the whole viewfinder frame)?  Is it worth it for me?  Am I willing
to put up with a couple of imperfections to gain what I'll gain?  Am I
willing to use IR filters as a price for some really amazing resolution
that I don't see in DSLR files?

And conversely, would I prefer a camera that does not have the M8's acuity,
but had less IR issues?  Do I accept the fact that the problem is truly
inherent in the reality of RF lenses being closer to the film/sensor plane
than DSLRs?

Everybody has to decide all this for themselves.  The jury is still out for
me, but I'm feeling more positive than negative right now.  As I said
before, how Leica handles the problem may be more important than the
problem itself.  If they offer some free IR filters with the purchase of
the camera, and fix the green glob and streaking issues with a free chip
swap at the factory, it may be all right.  If Leica doesn't make good to
reasonable customer satisfaction, then it's probably curtains for the M8,
and deservedly so.

--Peter