Subject: [Leica] 24 hours with my M8: long
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Nov 17 20:46:37 2006

I have had the M8 for 19 hours (including one sleep, while the
battery recharged) and I can report that at this stage --

"Don't worry: be happy"
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
L1000011.JPG.html

"Happy loving couples make it look so easy"
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
L1000068.jpg.html

When I turned 40, Helen surprised me with an M6, a decade later, I've
just bought my first pair of reading glasses and Helen has bought me
an M8. So here are some impressions from day one. Firstly, thank you
to Helen and the guys at camera exchange. It has been a pleasure
dealing with you for over 20 years. Its only a shame the shop is so
busy ;-)

Thanks to the warnings of others, I had the the battery charged
before I arrived, so I was ready to experiment as soon as it was
loaded in the quirky "chamber".

If you just want the results, here's an album:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/Images+from+the+M8/

But to read some comments, please continue

"So take a letter Maria"
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
028.JPG.html

Point One: Leica should be congratulated on this camera. Even with
the undoubted shortcomings, and I will show some of my examples
later, this is the first generation of a high quality rangefinder
digital camera and most of what they have done seems to work. Leica
rely on third parties for the sensor, and will NEVER in my life time
be likely to do otherwise. Leica do not have the cash flows of Canon
and do not have the experience in digital photography: lets be
honest, no one has the grunt or experience that Canon have, BUT Canon
do not make a rangefinder camera, so it is really pretty pointless
making too many comparisons with Canon SLRs, except to hold them up
as today's gold standards.

It is a long way from:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/Leica-Product/
product001.jpg.html

In my opinion based on a days use (big deal I know) Leica have made
some good progress. The camera is "faster" than the DMR, the software
seems a little more refined (my experience with the DMR is also
limited so this is just a gut feeling), the files come up faster,
write to the card faster and are smaller. They download faster to the
computer as a result and I only needed to buy a 2 gig card to hold
close to 200 images.

Then there is the underlying reason many of us will buy the M8. We
want to use our M lenses and we like using rangefinder cameras. I
suspect we are using the M lenses but not to their fullest extent
(even though Leica would like to tell us so), but the results are
really very satisfying in terms of Lens to Image translation.

Point Two: unlike Tina, I found the camera "flew" into action very
quickly. I focused on a table under very low light, kept watching
through the finder as I turned the camera "on" and then waited for
the camera to give me a shutter speed on "A" setting and fired ASAP.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
041.JPG.html

Well I reckon that the image was shot in just under one second: I was
delighted. The camera also seems to fire up as quickly from "sleep".
So touching the shutter release, or swinging the camera to on as you
raise it to your eye will give the camera time to be ready to shoot.

Point three: shutter lag is not noticeable EXCEPT with TTL flash,
where the initial flash makes a delay that I could notice, and I
wondered if the dog's eyes were "blinking" by the time the shutter
and real flash fired.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
flash1.JPG.html

I have not used it yet as fill flash with people, but the lag may
effect the result.

"He ain't heavy, he's my brother"
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
032.JPG.html

My first impression was how small the battery was, how light, how
neat, no wonder you will have a limited battery life. Because the
battery is so small, it will be no effort to carry one or two spares,
and using a small battery has limited the weight and size of the
camera. Knowing that battery technology is improving, this may mean
our cameras or the next generation will have even better life, but I
managed to take a full 2 gig card, chimp through the images at the
restaurant 2 or 3 times and download to the computer before it died.
We are told it will get better, so i think it will be "good-enough"
if not excessive for a user like me.

Then I un-wrapped the camera, and it is solid, well in fact it is
heavy, but apart from feeling like my M6 on steroids, the M digital
is as everyone else has reported, an M feeling camera. A few minor
lessons and within minutes I was shooting in "A" (aperture priority)
and "M" (manual, or as I have always thought of it shutter priority).
The viewfinder is bright, the rangefinder seems accurate and I was
even happy focusing the 135mm with it. I suppose I reached for the
winder on 2 or 3 occasions, but the "strange" feeling was that the
camera was living after each shot, as the motor recocked the shutter.
That and the noise were a little off-putting to a M user, but I soon
became used to it.

"As tight as a dope fiend's fix my friend, step in close and take
your stuff"
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
tightas1.JPG.html

It has never really bothered me that the framing in the M was a
little "loose". I've always done my own printing, I have great
enlargers and the quality of film was good enough to allow me a happy
"wastage", but I feel a bit different with digital (though I suppose
it will pass). Being as most of you know a bit "tight", I like to get
my value, and so if I've got 10.3 million pixels to use, I want to
use them all. Besides, the sensor real estate is expensive and
already crops my lenses back by 30%. I immediately noticed that the
"image verification" which hits the monitor with lightning speed
(except in very low light conditions such as leaving the mirror down
on the visoflex) was showing me a fair degree more than I had
expected. On my very crude test: focused at as close as I could get
to the figure the framing means I go from an image of 3900 x 2600
Pixels to 3300 x 2100 (ok, I know I have not done this in perfect
ratio, but you get the idea) a loss of about 15%. So step in close
then take another step.

So here is the result
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
tightas1.JPG.html

And this is about the excess outside the framelines
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
tightas2.JPG.html

"Dust clusters to me like moths around the flame"

I was reasonably careful, I did not "inspect" the shutter and changed
lenses as swiftly as I could, The earliest image I kept - frame two,
seems free of dust, but by frame 7, it was there already.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
dust.JPG.html

This dust problem must plague all non-self cleaning cameras and the
M8 is no different but cleaning the sensor is pretty easy. You need a
fairly fully charged battery before the camera will even let you do
it, but you switch to clean sensor in the menu, open the shutter and
blow away furiously with the rubber knob of the blower brush:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
deDusted.JPG.html

the next day, I did this and could only find a couple of small
remnant specks, BUT this shows how idiotic some of our obsession with
pixel perfect really is, and again, makes me very impressed with the
Olympus E 500, who still has no sign of dust after hundreds of
"unprotected" lens changes. Of course the Olympus takes much longer
to start up!!!!. I would like an ultrasonic cleaning of the sensor at
the touch of a button "when I wanted it"!!! Seems dust is now my
enemy before I reach the darkroom.

"Oh dear what can I do, baby's in black and she's turning blue"
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
bINb1.JPG.html

The above image of black clad persons in sunshine, and below a group,
where I at first wondered if the T shirt on the girl in the
foreground was affected, till I spotted the black T shirt on the girl
behind: I think the colours are pretty good in these situations.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
bINb4.JPG.html

So what of the famed "issues" which have already been discussed on
this forum and others. I reasoned that the infrared problem would be
worse at night. After all, there is less normal visible light and the
body may give off a greater percentage of IR. Well to some extent I
suspect it is true. Above are two images of people wearing black in
the sunlight, and I'm not sure how much effect there is, but at night
in the restaurant I took an image of the waitress who was in "black".
The first image is the camera's impression of the scene under
"tungsten" setting ISO 1250

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
bINb2.JPG.html

and the second with PS's "auto-colour". Compared with the belt it
remains pretty "blue".

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
bINb2a.JPG.html

I'm pretty impressed with the high ISO performance, though I know the
Canons do it better, this is not too grubby compared with film!!! I
agree that Leica or Kodak or someone needs to find a reasonable
solution to this IR cast. If I am right and it becomes a real issue
in low light, then we will need to have hi-pass filters on our
Noctilux ;-) As Helen said: dark blue is NOT the new black. For me,
iffff it is an issue at high ISO and low light levels and I have to
put up with it, I'll live with it and try to remember to put a filter
on.

"When everything old is new again"
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
Everythingold.JPG.html

I have attached the visoflex and it works, but the shutter arm is on
the edge of the release, and you do need to give the camera time to
set the meter, so it did not work with the last instant mirror
release setting. You needed to raise the mirror slowly and then hit
the release. Of course I soon noticed that the framing was "off"
before realizing that the framing difference was the difference
between the 35mm film size and the sensor size.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
everythingold2.JPG.html

So it was very late when we got home to feed the dogs ;-)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/M8+testing/
availabledark1.JPG.html

Summary
The DMR is an interesting hybrid and has 2 possible big selling
points for longevity:

1) to replace the sensor, Leica could continue to develop the back
and I would not have to buy a new camera and

2) you can get to the sensor. I've already praised the Olympus dust
reduction on this list: it seems to work very well, but for how long.
Compared with cameras which rely on a return to the dealer for
cleaning, the DMR and now the M8 are streets ahead, especially if
like me you are planning on using them for 2 to 5 years. If
yesterdays experience is anything to go by, the camera would be
heading back to be cleaned DAILY.

The colour problem needs to be solved: I may be able to live with it
using filters, as long as the situations in which the filters are
needed are predictable and few. It is the only real failing of the
camera so far in my testing.

So here are a few other examples in one album

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/Images+from+the+M8/

Thanks for listening and happy shooting

Cheers
Alastair