Subject: [Leica] M8: "I think it's gonna be all right"
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Fri Nov 17 13:22:10 2006

>> Shades of the M5

>I finally had the chance to handle an M5 and frankly I don't
>understand all the animosity the camera has garnered.

I didn't mean to slam the M5 necessarily by my "shades of the M5" comment.

I have not used one but I know that many people like it even though it is
definitely something of an Edsel of a camera....

I was referring to the attempt by Leica to come out with something new (a la
New Coke) only to find general lack of acceptance in the marketplace-- hence
the return to M3 roots with the next model, the M6.

I think even if the "magenta" problem is satisfactorily addressed that we
will be seeing history repeating itself.

If it happens, it is because of too many know-it-alls in Solms who created
something, a very expensive something, with far too little input from
photographers -- the very people, like myself, who would be putting down our
hard earned cash for the next generation M camera.

Makes me sad.

Dave.
--
My Photography: http://www.david-keenan.com