Subject: [Leica] RE. Wides on M8
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Wed Nov 15 10:32:54 2006

> I haven't tried any of them, Felix.  My widest M
> lens is the 21.  That may change in the future,
> though, since the 21 is now a 28  ;-)
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
> http://www.tinamanley.com
If my experience may help, Tina I've used the 12mm Heliar - 16
equivalent in M8- in my M7 with *huge* vignetting but good resolution.
Even closing several stops it is not easy avoiding the vignetting. With
digital the problem increases not so in vignetting that will diminish
with the 1,33 crop factor but with resolution that due to the inability
to get full light in the corners of microlenses- even decentered-  may
produce bad quality images. This was my experience in the full frame
Canon cameras with 14mm and 16-35mm not so much with 17-40mm and
therefore it will be a good help if the first extreme wides user with M8
give us some comments.

Other alternative is the excellent Carl Zeiss 15mm f2,8 in M mount that
for sure will produce stunning images but cost, weight and size are true
concerns. I have no experience with Heliar 15mm -20 equivalent in M8-
but probably I'll order a copy to Stephen Gandy as neither cost nor size
is -in this case- a concern. I don't know when my M8 will arrive but, as
I love wides, I'll  share with pleasure my experiences. I've downloaded
some pictures from M8 galleries and resolutions is extraordinary but I
can see some aliasing and fringing..

Regards.

Felix.