Subject: PS Re: [Leica] DMR DNG profile hell !
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Nov 15 06:18:47 2006

Hoppy,

I didn't so much abandon hardware calibration. I waited a long time to
get a Spyder(puck) for two reasons. First, I borrowed a puck from a
friend a couple of years ago and I couldn't get it to work. I don't know
if it was hardware or software (or me) related. Since it was borrowed I
never took the time to figure it out.

Secondly, because I didn't' have immediate success with my try-out I was
reluctant to buy one.

I've had an ongoing struggle with color management. I recently evaluated
my entire workflow to identify weaknesses. Monitor calibration kept
coming up as a big issue. So I finally bought a Spyder. Now I wouldn't
be without one.

I'm not quite at WYWIWYG every time -- largely because I'm trying new
inks and papers. But I'm way ahead of where I was. My current goal is to
narrow down my choices to just a couple of paper types, and to get those
dialed in.

I don't particularly enjoy digital printing, like I enjoyed darkroom
printing. But I like making prints.

daveR