Subject: [Leica] Leica D-Lux 3: It Arrived... I feel overwhelmed!
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Tue Nov 14 17:16:59 2006

> On 15/11/2006, at 8:46, Jack McLain wrote:
>
>> Dear Comrades in Photography....
>>
>> The Leica D Lux 3 has arrived. I am overwhelmed by what I DO NOT
>> know about
>> operating this unit, and the digital world at large.

It will become second nature soon enough...

>> I am struggling with the manual. I've managed to actually capture
>> an image,
>> transfer it to my computer (another challenge since I very
>> recently bought
>> my first Mac after years (pre retirement) of using a PC with a
>> secretary and
>> I.T. Guy to get me out of trouble). They are not great pictures,
>> but I do
>> feel a major sense of accomplishment at getting this far.

Are you importing the images into iPhoto, per chance? This is not a
bad idea, since iPhoto keeps a copy of the unmodified original even
of you change the heck out of the image in an editor, such as
iPhoto's own or PS.

>> Question: the camera came with a 64 memory card which I am
>> learning is
>> roughly equivalent to a 12 exposure roll of film.  Where would you
>> guys buy
>> more/bigger cards, and extra batteries if you were inclined to do so?

I second Brian's advice for Costco - where you can get 2 GB Sandisk
SD Extreme II cards right now for $60 after a $20 rebate - or Amazon,
where if you choose an off-brand 4GB card they are not much more. No
reason to settle for less than 2 GB, which gives you about 400 best
quality jpegs, or about 88 raw images.

>> Holding the camera up and away from my face is going to challenge my
>> compositional skills. Tell me one gets used to this!!

One does, though it is a little bit harder to hold the camera steady
at first.

Will von Dauster

Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Leica D-Lux 3: It Arrived... I feel overwhelmed!)