Subject: [Leica] Sigh......
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Nov 11 22:48:48 2006

Don Dory wrote:
> Jeffery,
> With scanners picking up any flaw in a negative I've found that I can not
> afford to not use a hardening fixer.  Just pulling a negative out of the
> sleeve can leave enough of a scratch that I have to heal the wound before I
> print it.

Don, I always thought that the hardener only mattered while the negative
was wet/damp. Once dried, it is hard again.

I know Fomapan is so soft when it is wet that a hardener is recommended
by many. I don't use one. I am just very careful with wet negatives. I
haven't noticed anything once they are dry and sometimes they can really
get held back in the negative sleeves by suction.

But thanks for the warning. I'll keep my eyes open.

> As to Rodinal, with the higher speed films I mostly use, Xtol 1:2 or 1:3
> works better magic for me.  But I think that I will try Acros in Rodinal
> 1:50 to see if I can get better tonality than I can with Xtol.  I think
> that
> the increased edge effects will work to my advantage.  I'll find out in the
> next couple of weeks.  Heresy, I will be using a tripod with an M and
> modern
> glass to see just what can be done on some abstract images with 35mm.

I don't know ... Xtol 1:2 and 1:3 is pretty nice. Acros is also very
nice right out of the box.

Recently I've shot a couple with Rodinal, well, Calbe R09, the original
"Rodinal". It is different, but I don't know how. Its standard dilution
is 1:40 as an equivalent of 1:50.

Last week's paw:

http://www.dlridings.se/paw/2006/44.html

But probably more significant (that is, Rodinal's contribution to the
result), the portrait of Ewa:

http://www.dlridings.se/paw/2006/41.html

I don't think I'll use it for 35mm anymore. It is a bit too much of a
good thing.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Sigh......)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Sigh......)