Subject: [Leica] Tri Motor/Ju 52
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat Nov 11 21:11:14 2006

At 11:47 PM 11/11/2006, G Hopkinson wrote:
>Douglas, up until the 80's/90's the Royal
>Australian Air Force still operated several "Daks" at our Aircraft Research
>and
>development Unit (ARDU) where I worked. I have
>flown as a passenger many thousands of
>kilometres in these aircraft over quite a
>period. At least one of these airframes participated in the Berlin airlift.
>http://www.adf-serials.com/gallery/albums.php?set_albumListPage=14

Hoppy

Who operated it during the Berlin Airlift?  This
WAS a multi-national effort but I had not
realized that the RAAF played a part in it.  The
USAAF pretty much discouraged the use of the
C-47/Dakota/R4D/DC-3 in the Airlift as the
resources required to push a C-47 to Berlin and
back was about 80% as large as that required for
a C-54, which carried almost three times the
cargo.  Thus, the USAF pretty much insisted on
all flights being on C-54's but some C-47's might have gotten through.

Whenever someone starts spinning a story, GET THE
DETAILS.  After all, there are truly "a million
stories in the naked city", and every one has
some piece of truth in it.  (If someone tells me
that the RAAF operated flights of Dakotas into
Templehoff and Gatow during the Airlift, I will
be surprised to learn this, but hardly
astonished, as I learn new things every day on
every imaginable topic (other than digital
photography, which just becomes increasingly beyond my grasp, I fear.)

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Tri Motor/Ju 52)