Subject: [Leica] OT: Maybe dumb question on M8
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Nov 11 12:41:22 2006

At 12:04 AM -0500 11/11/06, Digiratidoc@aol.com wrote:
>Someone tell my why, seriously, the *average* photographer would not want a
>feature that would make his job easier. Maybe I'm not an *average* M
>user. I do
>think though that if Leica wants to attract new Leica M customers that they
>need to create not only well-built, quality cameras, but machines with
>*above
>average* features.
>
>In a message dated 11/10/2006 9:34:43 PM Central Standard Time, SonC@aol.com
>writes:
>
>It would have been a very simple matter to design one into the M8 where  it
>WOULD have been a handy and usefull addition to the overall design, and  it
>should have been easy with all their experience with those
>*Leica/Panasonics*.

At this time, it really doesn't work. The sensor can be on full time
- I don't think that any current CCD sensors of this size can be on
full time without some serious cooling accessories. Maybe 'yes, you
could have this, but you can't take pictures any further from you
house than your hose can reach'. This might be overcome with new
technology, but I believe this is a problem right now.

Also, in a previous post you mention that you wouldn't use the screen
to focus the macro and tele shots you envision. I don't understand
this, as the regular M rangefinder can't handle those focussing tasks
either. So you would have to be able to do the focussing on the
screen.

But the main thing is, that there is a large demand for a good
digital rangefinder, preferably as straightforward like the M film
cameras, that work in a similar way. The M8 achieves that. I have
lots of M lenses, and even a bit of macro stuff - Viso, a couple of
bellows, etc and am even contemplating a long lens again - but the M
is mostly for the traditional mid range stuff.

I'll bet that using a Viso III with a 400/6.8 is a lot easier and
faster handling than putting the same lens on an E-330 and using the
'live view'.

As Sonny said: use the right tool.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff