Subject: [Leica] M8 in Palo Alto
From: pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (pmcc)
Date: Fri Nov 10 23:52:01 2006

This evening a group of BALUGs met for dinner before
going to see a demo at Keeble & Shuchat of the current
Leica digital cameras, including the M8. Keith and
Mark Lee, John Gong, Ken Iisaka and yours truly were
there. Ralph Hagenauer from Leica Germany gave a Power
Point presentation, and various models were passed
around and made available for handling. Being aware of
the various cavils and misgivings about the M8 raised
on the LUG and elsewhere on the net, we were all
predisposed to be somewhat skeptical and underwhelmed.
Well, I for one came away with red dots in my eyes,
and I don't think I was alone.  The camera looks,
feels and handles just like an M camera, and seems
impressively well built.  It is also clear that Leica
is aware of the IR sensitivity issues and others that
have been raised, and we are given to understand that
fixes will be proposed soon. My sense is that the M8
makes for a relatively painless transition for the M
shooter from film to digital -- cost aside, of course.
 That's the last 2 cents you'll be getting from me for
a while, as I now have a good reason to save my
pennies.

Peter.
SF, CA