Subject: [Leica] DMR processing/workflow (was: 2500 ISO)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Nov 7 13:50:57 2006

Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org> wrote:

>2006-11-06-23:23:27 Douglas Herr:
>> This weekend warrior appreciates the no-light capabilities of the DMR,
>> using ISO 1600 and even 3200 when required to get the picture.  I
>> haven't compared it with the results from competing brands but the
>> high-ISO noise looks to my eye like ISO 400 film grain, the color
>> quality is delightful and none of the photos I've made with it have
>> anywhere near the 'plastic' look I've seen in some digital photos.
>
> I'm wondering if I'm missing something about how to handle high-ISO DMR
> images.

Jeff, the trick to good high-ISO files from the DMR is to limit the ISO
selection to no higher than 400 and to trick the meter to expose as though
it's a higher ISO by using the exposure compensation adjustment.  I'd like
to see this fixed by the 1.3 firmware.

I'm using Imacon FlexColor software.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento