Subject: [Leica] Posted some color pictures
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Nov 6 16:26:52 2006

Luis, I hope that you have recovered from the family birthday celebrations
by now. I understand what you are saying regarding only
shooting colour when you think that it adds to the photo. That is a very
pure photography way of thinking. You are in the right
group for that.
Also, I absolutely agree that projected Leica pictures are wonderful. I got
a Pradovit and a colorplan lens just to look at my
Velvia stuff.
Regarding the scanning, I find it much harder to scan black and white really
well compared to colour. Actually I get the best black
and white results from converting from colour. This is really helped by the
fine dye clouds instead of grain. But where's the fun in
that? It is rewarding to process your own black and white negatives. I do
scan though, because a print darkroom is just too hard for
me to use enough to get good at it. Scanning and inkjet printing does
require an investment in a good film scanner and printer for
the best results and also needs learning, just like a darkroom. But once you
have good equipment well set up you can make very good
prints from scans, both black and white and colour. Would you like to swap a
couple of prints? Grab me off list if you want to
arrange something there.
Cheers
Hoppy