Subject: [Leica] M8 and the Future
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Nov 1 00:44:07 2006

http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v13/06v13-0001.jpg.html

Hoppy,
That is an old "industrial" area. Mills, the kinds that consisted of
huge granite discs (a foot thick, about 5 feet across) were driven by
water power. So quite a few mills were set up along this stream, then
saw mills, then paper production (requires huge amounts of water) etc.
It goes back to the 1600's. In fact, the one paper company was just
dismantled after over 400 years of production. Almost criminal, since
they were not losing money.

This particular shot was taken in the spring, during the "thaw" when the
winter snow, upstream, melts and floods. There is an enormous amount of
energy tied in in those waters.

Each factory would use the water for power, leading it even under the
building to drive various machines, and then lead it back out into the
stream for the next factory downstream. A whole chain of small
industries were built up.

Hope that helps. Many thanks for your and other's generous responses.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] M8 and the Future)