Subject: [Leica] Printing on Glossy Paper
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Oct 31 11:32:47 2006

Daniel wrote:

>>David, you'll get to your 100% if you use Quadtone RIP. You can use it

with the Piezo inks from inkjetmall and you can use it for the
Ultrachrome inks from Epson.<<

Daniel,

Thanks. My intentions after reading your posts from a few weeks ago was
to get buy an R800 and go with the K7 inks. I wasn't even going to load
the UC inks that came with the printer. But I did load the OEM inks and
I started experimenting and the next thing I knew I was hooked on color.
(The timing was right because I've been shooting Autumn foliage).

I'm still undecided in terms of which way to go for BW. I know that the
K7 inks are readily swappable with the OEM Epson inks. I don't know how
practical it is to switch, with cleaning cycles wasted ink, etc. I've
read nothing but positive about the K7 inks, aside from the cost.

I'm considering the R220, which can be used with UT-2 inks from MIS
(much like the C86 and EZ using the Epson driver) or with MIS UT-3D inks
and QTR. The latter option is more complicated but has more flexibility.

I need to make a final decision papers and BW inks. But it's not been
easy. The good news is that a lot of things seem to work well. Much
better than a few years ago.

>>my R800 doesn't swallow the same
thick paper as the C86 does.<<

That's one of my concerns about the R800. In fact, my biggest complaint
with the 3000 was that it didn't handle thinker papers. Even my 1200 did
a better job with the heavy stuff. I generally like heavier papers for
BW printing.

daveR

Replies: Reply from dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Printing on Glossy Paper)