Subject: [Leica] Printing on Glossy Paper
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Oct 30 22:28:49 2006

David Rodgers wrote:

> I tried BW on the R800. Daniel Ridings mentioned he'd had problems
> getting consistent BW from the R800. I had problems getting uniformly
> neutral prints with the color inkset. Using Epson supplied profiles and
> PS color management (the method I use for color printing) was a complete
> waste of time for BW. However, I figured out how to make rich neutral BW
> prints using only the Epson driver. It's not 100 percent successful but
> I'm getting close. Only one print in 10 that I made yesterday had any
> sign of green cast in the highlights.

David, you'll get to your 100% if you use Quadtone RIP. You can use it
with the Piezo inks from inkjetmall and you can use it for the
Ultrachrome inks from Epson.

I've now tried both (standard inks from Epson and the K7 inks from
inkjetmall). The K7 inks are as good as, but not better than, the
Ultratone carbon inks from MIS Associates in an Epson C86. Nothing to
complain about. Well, one complaint, my R800 doesn't swallow the same
thick paper as the C86 does.

I don't think there is an Ultratone set-up for the R800. I'm not sure on
the status. The inks from inkjetmall are expensive, very expensive.

With the Ultrachome inks (standard inks from Epson) you can use Quadtone
RIP to print 1) neutral 2) cold or 3) sepia or 4) balanced combinations
between them (between neutral/cold, neutral/sepia makes the most sense).

You will get to your 100% no-color-cast prints on Epson Enhanced Matte
paper. I don't think there are curves for any other paper. With the K7
inks there are curves for quite a few papers, most of which my R800 will
not load because they are too thick.

For BW printing on the R800 you WILL want this:

http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html

it is free to try and costs 50 dollars if you decide in favor of it.
Best deal around.

Best,
Daniel