Subject: [Leica] M8 bought with 1,2,3
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Oct 30 15:30:42 2006

On 10/30/06 4:27 PM, "Afterswift@aol.com" <Afterswift@aol.com> typed:

> In a message dated 10/30/06 12:20:38 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org
> writes:
>

>> Well, for better or worse, I have just been informed by my dealer that my
>> M8
>> is likely to ship to me this week...
>> -----------------
> Hi Dave,
>
> First, it's good to know that at least some folks in the world have
> disposable income. Second, you went into the deal with your eyes open. You
> know that FF
> is on the way and the M9 will feature it. Third, in any case it's a Leica,
> so

Like saying why bother shooting with a Rolleiflex when somebody's going to
show up with a Speed Graphic and shoot it? So what if they do!?
Larger formats are needed for certain applications. The questions are.
Which formats are needed for what jobs in your personal opinion.
Right now the APS-C digital format is doing everything and more that 35mm
film used to do. Now with full frame 24x36mm digital its felt by a lot of
people that this can do what medium format film used to do. True or not its
a difference format than APS-C digital. Different. It doesn't make it
disappear.

The 13x19s and larger prints which we do with our M8s are not going to fall
off the wall when the full frame Leica digital rangefinder camera comes out.

But it will be sure fun to shoot with that 16-18-21 tri Elmar when it does.

Anything you want to you can go back and reshot it with a larger format if
its a big deal and will stand still long enough. You will get a better
image. If anybodies going to care.

Full frame canon shooters need to constantly insert into every discussion
what an earth shattering big deal it is that they're shooting full frame
digital and how everything has to revolve around that.

A quote from the end of Reichmann's article just out. (out of context of
course)
" In the case of the Leica M8 I am pleased to report that overall image
quality is second to none. Only the Canon 5D and 1Ds MKII are better at high
ISO, and at ISO 400 and lower the M8 is their equal. Then again, right now
there are no other cameras producing as clean high ISO images as these two
Canons. But when combined with the superior quality of Leica lenses, and the
fact that the M8 does not have a resolution reducing AA filter, I would
argue that there are no current 35mm format cameras which offer superior
image quality to the Leica M8 at ISO 400 and lower."
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica-m8.shtml

" Of course file size needs to be considered. At 10.3 MP the M8 offers
enough resolution for most personal and professional applications. It's at
the current sweet spot for digital camera resolution. There are a few
cameras that offer more, but few to none that can beat the M8 in terms of
overall image quality, regardless of file size. And since the camera lacks
an AA filter I have found it possible to res-up files for very large prints
to a greater extent than ones from cameras that do have an anti-aliasing
filter installed. I have also found that M8 files need considerably less
sharpening than those from Canon DSLRs."

That's ? Michael Reichmann folks

He's got quality initials!

Mark Rabiner