Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 vs. M8? Chimping
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Sun Oct 29 18:30:41 2006

>No Dave, while I'm shooting, I think you're looking for the next
>place to put your tongue in your cheek, right?!

Gary --

Not entirely, I'm afraid.

I really do think chimping it is a goofy practice. I know that it is often
irresistable to do with digital cameras. But I really think that
photographers spend too much time staring that the back of their cameras,
fiddling with buttons, and missing what is going on in front of the camera.

This, like some of my other thoughts, runs counter to conventional opinion
and practice but the great film photographers didn't know what images they
had captured until much later and therefore learned to trust their
instincts.

I just feel that chimping encourages lazy photographic practice by enabling
if not forcing the photographer to think about the image *after* it was
taken rather than before. And *after* is too late.

Dave.

--
My Photography: http://www.david-keenan.com
My Blog: http://www.david-keenan.com/euroblog