Subject: [Leica] Opinions Collapsible Cron vs. Elmar or others
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Oct 29 16:13:33 2006

At 10:48 PM -0400 10/27/06, Walt Johnson wrote:
>I've always labored under the assumption slower, thin emulsion films
>have steeper curves and consequently are higher contrast. I wished
>it were possible to find some Tri-X circa 1970 because these newer
>films really seem to lack depth. They  are certainly sharp as hell
>and grainless but also toneless  compared to what once was. I picked
>up a collapsible a few years back with the usual haze that can be
>hard to see. Leitz redid it for me and image wise it compares with
>my late model Summicron.
>I sure can;t help but feel the look we all knew and loved related to
>film and developer rather than lens characteristics.
>
>Walt

To a certain extent, I agree. My main B&W films for the last couple
of years have been Delta 100 and HP5+; the former I shoot at 200 and
the latter at  640, using the same metering that causes me to rate
Tri-X at 400. Both are souped in Xtol 1:3, with my usual development
of minimal stock solution and less and less agitation at the end, to
allow the extended shadow development that gives me my extra (real)
speed and keeps the acutance high.

Until I started treating Delta 100 in this way I always found it to
be lacking in both a proper shoulder and toe; it was all a 'straight
line curve'. Blocked highlights and no detail in the shadows. It
still doesn't come close to the tonal range I was able to get from
FP4, but I had to shoot that at 64 and it had way larger grain. I
might as well shoot Tri-X and put it in D-76.

To get a proper 'old lens' look, you need to shoot with a box camera,
or at least minimally coated lens on 6x9 Verichrome pan. You can't
get a longer or more forgiving tonal range! When I hear people
talking of never having taken a bad shot with a camera from the 50's,
I know they were shooting VP. When that film went, a lot of values,
both tonal and otherwise, went with it.

To you first point; yes, slower, thinner emulsions have steeper
curves and especially less shoulder and toe space. The latter two
characteristics are the results of a variety of grain sizes, which
faster, thicker, non-tabular film have. Tabular films get a good deal
of their finer grain/sharper appearance from having a thin emulsion
with very controlled grain sizes, but that makes it difficult to
avoid blown highlights and inky shadows. VP had a very thick
emulsion, with every grain size imaginable. It was a quite grainy
film for 125 ASA, but wow! the tones.

Old lenses had less contrast (in general) due to a whole variety of
factors, including coatings. This would cause light scatter into the
shadow areas, 'pre-flashing', or rather flashing-on-the-spot and
giving the shadows more detail. Highlights still had to fend for
themselves, and depended on film forgiveness.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Opinions Collapsible Cron vs. Elmar or others)