Subject: [Leica] heads up warning about WD 1TB drive
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Oct 27 19:03:28 2006

I have had this argument over many years on the value of a cooling fan.  (
It started when I worked for WD.)   Yes, given different
constraints, a fan can be made to be quieter.  It is about air flow
dynamics.   Given the size and shape of a HDD, there is little
room for a fan to begin with, plus a fan allows for an entrance of
particulates that could ruin the ability to read or write data.
It is however, most likely the fan surrounds the motor, or a heat sink
connected to the motor.

Be happy of the performance of your drive, and use soothing music to placate
your ears......

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Yes, but poor design can increase the noise factor. Quieter does not
necessarily mean hotter.

I had a housing a few years ago that was so noisy I took the drive
out and put it in my G4 and tossed the housing.

Ric