Subject: [Leica] M8 High ISO performance
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Thu Oct 26 18:28:33 2006

Hello Luggers,
I don't subscribe to Sean Reid's pay for view review website. I do
respect the quality of Sean's reviews which are posted on http://
www.luminous-landscape.com/ - in fact I provided him with some of the
RAW files that he used to review the picture quality of the RD 1.
That said, I have used the preproduction M8 that Leica passed to Tom
A for assessment and I also attended the Leica Akademi in Wetzlar
after the LHSA meeting. It is hard to comment on Sean's report beyond
the interpretation provided by BD but my own experience with the
camera is that IS0 2500 produces blotchy colour in very low light
which needs a lot of post processing. But, turn the ISO down to
1250,  use the self timer and set the camera on something steady,
open those Leica M lenses wide open, and something quite wonderful
happens. You have an image with great clarity, good contrast, and
very little noise. I took some pictures in the Wetzlar Dom in this
fashion and at the Akademi when we turned them into Grayscale and
looked at the grain they were virtually without grain. So, putting my
money where my mouth is, I have sold my Canon 5D (best CMOS on the
market no doubt - but a dust collector such that Canon gave me
coupons for additional free cleanings) and I have sold my RD 1 (with
seller's remorse I confess. We should all be grateful forever to
Epson for having produced the RD 1 - thus forcing Leica to produce
the M8 in the (almost) timely fashion that is was done). I am
certain, based on my own experience, that when the M8 is sold with
finalized software it is going to produce spectacularly good images.
I stress that in my case both my cameras used early (and imperfect)
software. Perhaps someone with a subscription to Sean's site can fill
us in on what model of 'ware his camera was using.
Yours skeptically
Howard (in Hong Kong)

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] M8 High ISO performance)
Reply from gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO) ([Leica] M8 High ISO performance)