Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander 50 mm f/2 lens
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sun Oct 22 16:20:55 2006

The expression is a mild reprimand properly translated as "A pox upon
you." The literal translation is far more charming, "May a duck kick
you."

A friend of mine was studying Ukrainian while we were in high school
together. At some social function or other an older woman accidently
dropped a fork as she was setting the table. My friend reprimanded
her with the above and was startled to find the woman bursting into
tears. It turns out she was an immigrant from the Ukraine but hadn't
heard the expression since she left the old country as a young girl.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Voigtlander 50 mm f/2 lens)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Voigtländer 50 mm f/2 lens)