Subject: [Leica] Dog wrangling - guns, kids, and saying "cheese"
From: wooderson at gmail.com (Matt Powell)
Date: Thu Oct 19 12:27:54 2006

On 10/19/06, Jim Shulman <jshul@comcast.net> wrote:
> He noted that a vast proportion of the US population owns guns and
> considers
> them a part of their home life.  Yet, there must have been some unspoken
> taboo against showing this, as people would show off their doggies, cute
> kids, or macram? collections.  Pictures like this just aren't taken or
> shown.

In part, I think this is just part of the way we're taught to treat
guns. From my first air-rifle onward I was taught that you don't take
it out and display it, much less 'play' with any kind of gun. It just
didn't happen. You keep them in the closet or in a safe if at all
possible. Given my neighborhood, I keep my guns (an AR-15, a Beretta
carbine, a remake/repro of the WWII-era Thompson and a couple of
handguns) locked up in a safe at my parents' house and just pick one
up when I want to visit the range.

(and, FWIW, as to gun owner stereotypes, I'm a card-carrying Wobbly
and ACLU member, listen to NPR, won't think about hunting and my big
tough dog is an overweight beagle)

--
MP
wooderson@gmail.com