Subject: [Leica] Question
From: harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Wed Oct 18 18:20:02 2006

Victor Rubin wrote:
> About 10 years ago I bought 135 f2 Nikkor used in London on Portobello
> Road.
> I never had the chance to use it as much as I would have liked but
> found it
> to be stunningly colour corrected and sharp. The lens had not been
> changed
> to an "A" unit- In other words it calibrates with my F2S using the
> pin/slot
> method of the old Nikkors. I am wondering. If I bought a used Nikon
> digital
> SLR would I be able to use it? vroger

Victor,

The old non AI lenses will not even mount on a newer Nikon body.  To try
to force the issue could damage your camera.

A lens that is AI or AIS will mount on the newer bodies but will not
meter on lower end bodies like D50, 70 ext.  I use several old AI lenses
on my D1X often.  An old 180 2.8 ED and 105 2.5.  Both meter just fine
on my D1X, but not on my D50.  If I use my hand held meter and shoot the
lenses they work fine on the D50.  Also if I use an Nikon to EOS adapter
I can mount the Nikon lenses and shoot them on my Canon bodies.

For more information look at Nikon's site:

*http://tinyurl.com/ynf8ls

**http://tinyurl.com/yjcabb

**http://tinyurl.com/yaw3wz

*Also are you sure it is non AI?  most of the AI lenses had the old F2
thing on them also.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography