Subject: [Leica] Sigma 30mm f1.4 for 4/3rds
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Wed Oct 18 17:29:24 2006

Hi Steve,
Very much enjoy your pictures. At the Sigma stand at Photokina there
were various sections displaying lenses in different mounts Canon,
Nikon, etc and also 4/3rds.
I tried the 30mm 1.4 in 4/3rds mount on my Olympus 330E and it worked
just fine although taking pictures jostling in the crowd at a camera
show isn't really ideal for testing the image quality of a lens. I
have this lens in Nikon mount and use it occasionally  on my
daughter's D200. The first sample I got had a collimation problem
which was so obvious that I was able to return it to my Hong Kong
dealer and get a replacement which is equally sharp on all edges.
With that experience I would be inclined to wait for the 25 Summilux
rather than buy the Sigma 30. Another lens I tried at the Sigma stand
was the 24mm f 1.8 Aspherical Macro (which focuses down to about 7
inches) and I really liked the way it felt and handled. I would be
more tempted by that lens than the 30 I think but will likely settle
for just the Summilux if I can afford it.
Hope this helps,
Howard
I don't have the ready means to post sample pictures from the 30mm
f1.4 which would be accessible to the LUG but I will check my disks
and see if I can send you a couple of snaps off line.