Subject: [Leica] EXIF Viewer
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Oct 15 13:24:32 2006

Tina, Allen:  There does seem  to be a specific issue with EXIF data and
16-bit TIFF files. Some programs strip EXIF out of all TIFFs.  But 8-bit
TIFFs can contain EXIF data.

My Olympus E-1 came with a painfully slow but serviceable standalone RAW
converter called Viewer. It will save a JPG file or an 8-bit TIFF file
either with or without EXIF data.  It will only save a 16-bit TIFF file
with the EXIF data stripped out.  So if I want a 16-bit file to do heavy
curve work, I don't get EXIF.

Olympus' more full-featured RAW converter, called Studio, behaves the same
way.

My image editor, Picture Window Pro, recently added a RAW converter.  It
preserves the EXIF data in JPG and PNG files, but strips it out in TIFFs,
whether 16 bit or 8 bit.  So if I work on the same RAW file for an entire
session, I will end up with EXIF in my final JPG.  But if I save it to an
intermediate TIFF file and come back to it later, I'm out of luck.

Can't speak for ACR and Photoshop, as I don't use them.

I wonder if this behavior is a legacy of some other program choking on the
EXIF data in 16-bit files, so the software authors simply eliminate it to
avoid trouble.  Perhaps there is an ambiguity in the EXIF or TIFF
specification, or perhaps EXIF has some manufacturer-specific fields that
some programs handle better than others.

There are ways to pull the EXIF data from your file, and then save it back
into the finished product.  I've never bothered with this, but it can be
done.  I've read that some people will quickly create a JPG directly from
the RAW file, and save the EXIF to a file. They import that file into their
finished 8-bit file.  There are programs available for the purpose.  One
called EXIFer is mentioned on the Picture Window support board.

--Peter