Subject: [Leica] Replacement for the C86 printer with Ultratone (carbon) inks
From: kleinp at BATTELLE.ORG (Klein, Peter A)
Date: Wed Oct 4 12:35:50 2006

Daniel:  I have had quite a bit of dialog with MIS the last couple of
months.  The UT2 workflow that I used for a several years on an Epson
1280 stopped working when I installed a new cartridge.  The new cart
printed significantly lighter than the old ones did.

In the course of several phone calls to MIS, I asked about switching my
B&W printing to my Epson R200 if I couldn't get the 1280 to work
properly.  They said that the R200 and R220 were now very popular
printers for B&W.  The 200 and 220 are approximately the same printer,
with the 220 having a couple of extra features I don't care about. I got
my R200 for $79 after a rebate.  So the R200/220 are probably the next
generation of "near-giveaway" printers, with six inks rather than four,
and MIS supports them for hextone printing.  I can tell you that it's
been a nice, trouble-free color printer, knock on wood.

I think the 1280 is better for Black Only  (BO) printing, as it does
2880 dpi, and that makes a difference with BO.  They both do 1440 dpi
with a "fast" option (actually bi-directional vs. unidirectional) that
you can uncheck, which is all you need for the grayscale inks.

FYI, I now believe that the reason the new cartridge printed too light
was that I bought several cartridges in mid-2004, and only just used
them up this summer.  The UT2 ink was supposedly reformulated in late
2004.  I print a fair amount of BO, so it took me a while to use up the
grayscale carts and find that there was a difference.  The way I print
must have put some important tonal transitions on the "cusp" of some
curve crossovers.  Or some such thing.

The problem is solved now, in that the "EZ" method of printing a
grayscale file using the "slider" method of tone control works
perfectly.  For some reason, the Roark curves I was using before don't
work quite right any more.  They are a little too light, but I now have
figured out a gamma adjustment that gets them in the ballpark again.
I'll reserve final judgment until I use another cartridge or two, but
the "EZ" method using the sliders all set to zero gives me beautiful
results. So I won't argue with success.

--Peter

Daniel wrote:
>> My next to the last C86 broke down (parts worn out, says Epson, won't
budge).
>> So I broke out the last C86 I had under the table. It will probably
last about a year.
>> But then ... I will definitely need a replacement. I love the prints
I get from it. Any pointers for b/w printers that use carbon based
pigment inks. I don't think I want to go the RIP route, but I might have
to.