Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W only version of M8 - anyone else hear this?
From: davison_m at msn.com (MARK DAVISON)
Date: Tue Oct 3 08:54:54 2006

B. D. Colen has mentioned:

And the
idea, as I recall it, was that true RAW data is, in fact, gray scale data,
and that, as I believe Adam just noted, the sensor applies color to the RAW
data to get the color RAW image.

As it stands this is a bit misleading.  In a color sensor, each pixel has a
different color filter over it (from the Bayer array), so physically the RAW
data in each pixel is from some particular color channel. It's like taking
color separation shots simultaneously.

A pure black and white camera sensor would have no Bayer array of color
filters over the pixels, so each pixel would indeed record a truly B&W
image.

Mark Davison

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: B&W only version of M8 - anyone else hear this?)