Subject: [Leica] More about digital & film
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Sep 30 19:53:06 2006

 Gib Robinson said:
> I've found no downside to shooting with digital. I'm ecstatic about
> photographing in a way I haven't been in years.<<<<

Gib absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

I've found with digital the same wonderment and excitement I had the first
time I developed the first roll of film after my wife gave me my birthday
gift camera May 27, 1950! :-)

Along with watching the first print appear in the developer tray!!!! These
are photo memories never to be forgotten as I'm sure I'll remember my first
digital camera in similar fashion many years from now.

Well OK a few years down the line depending on how the rest of my life
lasts. :-) But they'll be sweet memories no matter how long.

And like you, I've found I shoot far more than I did with film, although I
find it amazing it's possible considering the documentaries I've done
shooting hundreds of rolls on one assignment. But it's true!

With digital there's far more .... "Oooohhhh Jeeeeeeesh look at that!!!"
click-click, change angle, click, change again, ... click, get lower....
click! How does it look from over here... click... click and so on! Milking
the situation for all it's worth far more than shooting film and trust me I
used film like running water!

Neither do I find any down side, maybe a tad in spending more time at the
computer, but just relate that to time in the darkroom and it's not really
that different. Certainly for me. However, I find I've become far more in
tune with the "Light room" these days. A bonus for digital.

I suppose it still comes down to different strokes for different folks, but
without question I'd not switch back to film because I can't see any reason
why I would.

And after last week with the M8 and it's results I'd find it extremely
difficult to go back to film with an M camera. I mean I've learned the great
values of SLR digital through my Canon 20D with Leica glass and in that
case, there's not really much chance I'd ever return to slide film again.
But who knows! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] More about digital & film)
Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] More about digital & film)