Subject: [Leica] Re: Diptychs
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Sep 28 14:14:25 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 12:37 PM, George wrote:

> I'm with you Ric. This is one of the strongest bodies of work I've
> seen in a long time. Each portrait would stand on its own as a
> powerful representation of sub culture. The juxtapositions simply
> strengthen the contrast and similarities between sub cultures. And as
> body of work they speak powerfully of our human condition.

I disagree. While the portraits are strong, except for subject matter
relationships and contrasts, most did not work as diptychs. Diptychs
should have some form of connecting artistic unity and should enhance
each other, mirroring shape and composition. Meaningful content
contrasts are not enough. The diptych should stand as a coherent work
of art independent of meaning. In this case art is sacrificed for
social comment. The photos would be better presented as individual
portraits and let the viewer assign whatever social meaning he will
in his own mind.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Re: Diptychs)