Subject: [Leica] Re: New Leica varifinder is rather huge
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Sep 28 09:06:00 2006

At 2:19 AM -0700 9/28/06, Colin J wrote:
>David Keenan wrote:
>>
>>My plans to buy one of the new Tri-Elmar lenses is now on indefinite hold.
>>
>>Buying a small camera, adding a relatively small, super-versatile lens, and
>>then have to put a small -- and pretty ugly -- house on top of the camera
>>use the lens is difficult to accept.
>

>David,
>
>The new finder is too huge and I predict it will be major
>disincentive for buyers of the new wide angle Tri-Elmar.
>
>If using the new Tri-Elmar with the M8, you can use the much more
>compact current finder 21-24-28mm.  This gives the exact angle of
>view for the 16-18-21mm Tri-Elmar on the M8.
>
>But this solution does not work for the M film bodies.  You could
>use separate finders for the focal lengths 16mm (Contax available)
>and 21mm (Leica, Voigtlander, Zeiss Ikon, Contax available) but I do
>not know of an 18mm finder.
>
>Colin

Actually, the 16mm Contax finder is probably the right one to use
with the 18mm setting. It shows the field of view of an 18 to 19mm
lens. I bought one as a 'user' finder to use with my Hologon, when
that was the only 15mm game in town, and was very disappointed.

And the 15mm CV finder is close enough to a 16mm view to make that work.

When I saw the specifications for the new finder, I knew I didn't
want it. I wonder how much of the price of the Tri-Elmar and finder
is due to the finder, and will it be possible to buy the lens without
the finder?

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design