Subject: [Leica] M8 Photokina Report (+ smidge on ZI and CV) **WITHCORRECT URL LINK**
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed Sep 27 09:37:40 2006

I think it's a discussion about software functionality.

If your current system isn't efficient than changing hardware can save
you time and money.

This is the case in video editing where Final Cut Pro is making real
in-roads into the low-moderate market once held completely by Avid.
Now major films are being cut on FCP as are television shows.

So we're seeing real competition between two different
software/hardware vendors with solutions that are really pushing each
other.

Apple owns the bowels of the platform - CoreImage and QuickTime on Mac
OS X make writing software to manipulate images and moving image
streams MUCH easier. Because the Apple platform is narrowly defined
you can be sure that the software interface to the hardware is going
to work and not be terribly buggy. Microsoft doesn't have this luxury
because outside vendors write many of the device drivers and they
offer substantial places for very nasty software failure. It's a fact
of life on that platform. Not that there aren't driver issues on the
Mac - it's just that they are almost entire APPLE issues and not a
third party.

There's also the benefit of having an OS with a real security model....

Adam