Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 Photokina Report - Aperture
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Wed Sep 27 09:21:25 2006

I find Aperture to be a very useful program. The revisions to it have
made substantial changes and this next version will deal with the most
pressing of issues. Still no curves, I think, and that's a real miss,
but otherwise it works very very well.

I have Lightroom Beta 4 on my system as well but I freely admit that
two programs attempting to do much the same thing leaves my mind not
knowing EITHER of them very well. With Lightroom changing so much I'm
just sticking with Aperture.

One of the things I really like about Aperture are its keyboard
shortcuts which make reviewing images very quick.

On the other hand the RAW conversion of Photoshop still gives me more
control and feedback that the similiar function inside Aperture.
(throws up hands - nothing's perfect - and laughs ruefully).

I'm glad they have a Flickr export plug-in with the upcoming version.

Adam

Note: I'm not sure of the story about disbanding the original Aperture
team - what it means or if it is really true. Much of Aperture is
built on the heavy-weight internals of OS X 10.4 just as Apple's Final
Cut Pro is built upon the heavy-weight internals of QuickTime. Getting
the GUI right is something Apple has done very well in Aperture. The
metaphor works for me. In comparison Lightroom
is......confusing.....because it's substantially different - like
waking up in Australia and having to drive to work all tired and
everything is on the wrong bleeping side and the sun's in the wrong
place....

ab

Message from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: M8 Photokina Report - Aperture)