Subject: [Leica] W-Nikkor-C and Nokton
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Sep 26 05:14:14 2006

>What does W signify in the nikkor?

No means. The W-Nikkor-C 53/2.5 is a chrome LTM lens, very small and
compact, sharp, with a funny circular and swirly bokeh. Made probably in the
early 50ies. See two samples here:

funny bokeh f2.5
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Didier/various/nikkor35-a.jpg.html
sharpness at f8
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Didier/various/nikkor35-b.jpg.html

>Is the Nokton the normal variant or the single coated one? Sorry if I
>wasn't
>paying sufficient attention. What did you think of the Nokton's
>performance?
>I don't mean vs the lovely ASPH. That would hardly be fair given the price
>differential.

Mine is the SC version, single coated. The performance is great in terms of
sharpness and contrast, the size is small and light as the old 35 Summilux.
A good everyday shooter. It was my main lens on the M6. The bokeh at f1.4 is
a bit harsh as with all fast CV lenses but gets soft above f2. The
aperture/focus rings were a bit stiff but after a lot of use the handling
has become smooth.  But on the R-D1 the field of view became a 60mm, which
is slightly too long for a standard lens for me. That's (one of) the reasons
I bought the shorter 35 Summilux.

Didier

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] W-Nikkor-C and Nokton)
Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] W-Nikkor-C and Nokton)