Subject: [Leica] Re: MacPro
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Sep 20 10:05:32 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 11:02 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Hi Larry, yep I'm sure it's a beauty. My wife carried my big Dell
> laptop with 15.4 widescreen exactly once (on a trip to Chicago).
> She has vowed never to pick it up again. She wants the MacBook.
> She  also has an iPod Nano welded to her upper arm.
> I was comparing iMac specs vs a desktop stem based on a PC.
>
> Cheers
> Hoppy

Hoppy,

The Business Week article talks about the desktop MacPro with two
Intel Dual Core processors, making a total of four little processors
devoted to massaging your images. I'm not sure your wife could lift it.

As far as the iMac goes, I bought a 20" Intel iMac at the start of
the year. So far I've loaded over 3500 images on it. It is a joy to
use. I have a slew of image processing programs on it but the one I
use most frequently is Graphic Converter, followed by an older
version of Photoshop (6.0) and with the very useful iPhoto. So far
the Rosetta emulation of the PowerPC lets me run most of my older
programs satisfactorily and I'm cheap enough to wait until all the
new stuff reaches the XXX.1 version. I must confess that I was
perfectly satisfied with my 12" Powerbook for still photography but I
had about 400 hours of video to edit and burn into DVDs. The ease of
doing it on the iMac blows away my office PCs and most of the stuff
at my daughter's TV station. In fact after working with the iMac, my
daughter, a documentary TV producer, is switching from her Avid
system to the Mac.

Too bad I didn't buy Apple stock when it was 17. I know, I know, it's
all because of the iPod.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Re: MacPro)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Re: MacPro)