Subject: [Leica] Re: "the dynamic range of digital"
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Sep 19 21:26:38 2006

Robert, I understand the linear part and the 50% of tones within the first
(brightest) stop. I don't follow why UNDER exposure
causes loss in that stop. Isn't the underexpose method meant to preserve as
many of those tones as possible? Then you are going to
adjust your tonal range after capture so that the 256 possible are chosen
from the ones you have captured. In other words, a nice
smooth histogram with no gaps after you manipulate the image. I think this
is the key point not being considered and resulting in
the polarised viewpoints. Not what the file will look like un-altered
afterwards to compensate for the underexposure, but how many
tones you have captured. If a "normal" exposure results in clipping say half
of the brightest f stop approaching 255, aren't you
losing far more tones than clipping half a stop from the bottom approaching
0?

There must be something I am missing here, and I really want to understand.

Cheers
Hoppy