Subject: [Leica] Umbria 2006
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Sep 19 20:58:55 2006

Oliver,
It is good to hear from you again.  Of the images posted I liked #16 the
best as you used a great reflection/reveal of the barbier shop.  Overall I
am struck by the amount of space allocated to the public square in Umbria.
Most American cities seem more like the French Quarter with small hidden
courtyards and not much public space.  Boston Square excepted.  Even in
Washington DC they can't leave the green space alone and keep adding
memorials until it seems that there is no public in public space.

Thank you for posting.

As to the density of your images, nothing is blown out but it seems that in
many of your images you just miss black.
This one would be a prime example:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OBRYK/Umbria/06Umbria07.jpg.html

The nuns habit should go to black but it appears that you have used H/S to
bring back too much of the shadow.  You almost get to black in the doorway
on the back of the image.  It does however give a light mid-summer feel to
the image.  Much like spending most of the day in bright sun at the beach
where everything seems washed out.  Possibly that is what brought this image
to mind.  With the glare you are getting from the nun I expected the image
to be far darker, more threatening so that the lighter color palette is
jarring.

On the other hand, this image:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OBRYK/Umbria/06Umbria13.jpg.html

appears to be well balanced from the blacks to the whites.  It seems to have
a far more saturated/richer look than the one I first pointed out.

Again, a good set and I appreciate the chance to look into a place that I
will probably never get to.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com