Subject: [Leica] ICU images...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Sep 18 14:05:27 2006

David Rodgers responded:
"Subject: RE: [Leica] ICU images...

> Ted,
>
> Everything you say is right on. However, I have a different perspective
> on Steve's first photo. For me having the person on the left out of
> focus placed the emphasis on the woman on the right.<<<

David, true enough! However the male is no more than an out of focus
distraction in the photograph. You cannot let "perceptions intrude" when the
subject is in such a prominent position in the frame.

Any good photo editor's immediate re-action would be... "hell does this guy
know how to focus his camera?" And say that without any perceptions or
knowing what's going on nor who these people are. It's the content and not
perception along with the  finished product first and foremost.

>>For me having the person on the left out of focus placed the emphasis on
>>the woman on the right.<<<

That would be right if he wasn't such a strong character in the middle of
the photo. Look at how strong his eyes are, (far more disturbing than adding
to the picture) they should've been sharp or so far out of focus he and his
eyes were nothing but an unrecognizable figure.  Steve probably should've
used an 80mm f1.4 wide open and made the concentration totally the woman.

If you have a copy of either of my books "Doctor's Work or Women in
Medicine." there are similar types of pictures, but both people are in focus
and done without any planning, just simple "photojournalist re-action."

Or they're so far out of focus they have really no influence as we see here.

I realize each of us see different relationships in a photograph and I have
no problem with that.

>>It makes her the dominant subject. And that's where my attention went
>>first. >>I noticed that she was going through a thought process, trying to
>>figure >>something out.<<<

Sorry sometimes we have a tendency to "read into the picture" rather than
straight looking at the quality of the image and making our decision on that
alone.

>> To me the person on the left was supporting object. He was
> providing feedback just like what the woman was obviously looking at.
> Whether that was a chart, monitor, or some other type of information
> feedback isn't apparent. So the photograph was about the woman and her
> quest to find an answer, or a solution to a problem; something with
> which I empathized. <<,

David you're reading lots into this photograph rather than just looking at
it as a photo! And in this case I believe you're subconsciously trying to
mentally correct Steve's shooting error!

> If the person on the left had been in focus it would have been more
> about the two of them. It would have been about a discussion between two
> people (or maybe more people since it looks the oof person might be
> looking at someone behind the woman rather than at her). Instead it's
> about the one person. <<<<

Sorry mate not at all, you're reading into again. This is about two people
and points being made or discussion.

> I'm not saying it would have been better or worse for me if both had
> been in focus. It just would have been different. Whether or not Steve
> intended it the way it came out, or whether he was handcuffed by the
> Noct's dof , I don't know. But it worked for me. <<

As it should be and you've made your points well as to why it worked for
you.
I look at any photograph without reading anything into what I'm looking at
because that keeps me out of "what it appears is going on." I make my
comments purely on the flat photograph in front of me..... quite frankly
even editing my own work! That's worse because now I'm coping with the
physical and mental emotions during the shoot! :-(

Otherwise if you start reading into a photograph "what you think is
happening" it means the photographer hasn't done his job well. For a picture
to really work it should smack you across the side of the head avoiding
making up reasons why you like it or don't like it through a perceived
perception.

Damn fine discussion, too bad we're not across a table with Steve and a beer
in hand! :-) Next time. ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] ICU images...)