Subject: 50mm Lenses - was: Re: [Leica] Don's PAW week 38 back in the airport
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Sep 17 23:54:26 2006

Scott:  The 50/1.4 Nikkor is an excellent 1950s lens. It covered the Korean
war along with the 85/2, and these lenses made Nikon's reputation.  It's a
modification of the Zeiss Sonnar tweaked for wide open and near.  It was
the best fast 50 there was until the second version of the 50 Summilux came
along.  Low contrast but sharp in the center wide open.  The corners don't
get very good even stopped down.  The bokeh is a bit jarring, "double line"
and donut rendition of farther OOF objects when you're focusing close.

I used to have the Nikkor, and sold it when I got the 50/1.5 Nokton.

The Canon 50/1.4 was similar, a little less sharp but higher contrast wide
open.

A couple of examples of the 50/1.4 Nikkor wide open or nearly so:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/paula_harpo.htm
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/claire_surreal.htm

--Peter

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) (50mm Lenses - was: Re: [Leica] Don's PAW week 38 back in the airport)