Subject: [Leica] Re: Self publishing with iPhoto
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Sep 17 16:29:58 2006

On Sep 17, 2006, at 3:31 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Robert D. Baron wrote:
>
> A friend sent us some small books of photos of our dogs.  She had
> them made using iPhoto on her Mac laptop: see http://www.apple.com/
> ilife/iphoto/features/books.html  - soft cover, small size.
>
> These are great for hand outs and I'd like to make some / order some
> myself, but the software is Mac only and I am a Windows guy.
>
> I have looked for software &/or a vendor to make these small
> 2.6x3.5inch  booklets using Windows software but have not found any.
> Does anyone know of such that I have missed?
>
> Size is important here and in this case smaller is better.
>
> I suppose that alternatively I could find a cheap used Mac laptop to
> run the software to order the albums, but I have no idea what model
> to look for; any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> And of course some of the photos would have been taken with Leica
> gear....
>
> Thanks for any ideas or suggestions,
>
> --Bob

Bob,

If you are interested in buying a Mac laptop for publishing small
books of photos, your best buy is an iBook with an Intel Dual Core
processor. These sell new for $1044 and some vendors will install an
additional 1 GB ram for an extra $50. If you have anyone in your
household connected with education, the academic discount cuts about
$100 off the price. The Mac comes fully equipped with a suite of
software that makes image processing particularly easy. The Intel
processor with Boot Camp will let you use all your PC software as
well. The newest Mac laptop is not really necessary. Used iBooks
capable of running the newest operating system sell for about $500
and come with iPhoto and the rest of the iLife suite. Most Mac
software currently being released will work fine on either generation
of Mac laptops.

Larry Z