Subject: [Leica] Trying to understand M8
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Sep 16 16:10:53 2006

>All of this makes me start looking at the few Epson digital rangefinders
>still out there.
>
>Jeffery Smith
>New Orleans, LA
>http://www.400tx.com
>http://400tx.blogspot.com/

I can't really comment with authority on what the coding does, but
the camera does very well without it. The Epson needed something like
that to handle the severe vignetting that it produced with wider
lense, but the Leica is free of that.

In spite of having very early firmware in the camera, I'm not sure
where optimization would have been beneficial. I think its time to
wait and see. We'll find out shortly, I'm sure as testers use coded
and non-coded lenses. Maybe it's worth it for some but not others. I
could certainly understand that.