Subject: [Leica] New pic from Hoppy
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Sep 16 03:37:54 2006

Philippe, understood regarding printing from a 16 bit file.
Nevertheless definitely worth making your adjustments while staying in 16
bit.
As you no doubt appreciate, a vastly better tonal range results. You can
drop back to 8 bit for the finished file as desired.
300 ppi is accepted as excellent to print from. That's fine. Sometimes I
might make another minor crop later. 360ppi never hurts.
The file size between the two is immaterial to me.
A full 35mm frame for me scanned at 4000dpi yields a 21MP file, being around
120MB for the 16 bit file. I feel confident I am
extracting a goodly amount of information from the transparency or negative.
In my case I only print to A4 so the crop ends up at
about 66MB.
A well specced PC for photoshop doesn't blink at these file sizes.
My swap file alone for photoshop is a 60GB dedicated RAID using fast SATA2
drives.
It is very seldom apparently used.
2GB fast DDR2, dual core CPU and all of the rest of it.

Photoshop is a very fine and powerful tool for photographers. Set you pc up
well and it is a pleasure to work with.

Cheers
Hoppy