Subject: [Leica] Leica M8?
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 15:32:55 2006

Hi Tom,

Read your review of the Leica M8 on LUG. You made little reference to the
reduction factor; I think it's 1.3 in the M8. With the advent of Canon's
FF35
sensor, methinks the M8 will soon be replaced by a FF35mm version, which is
probably in production now by Solms.

I don't think Leica will ever produce anything but 35mm format lenses for
the
M8 series of digitals. I don't think anyone with a mind would ever buy 1.3
frame lenses, like the 18-70mm, the kit lens for my Nikon D70. It's
worthless
with use on any FF body. It produces a circle on the 35mm focal plane.

I believe your ultimate review will occur when Leica releases their true FF
M8 body. I don't know what they'll call it. An M9? The M8 will be a
collector's
item. Nikon will probably market their FF digital reflexes in a few months,
all but obsoleting all the fancy (D2X, D200, etc.) sub-35mm models they're
selling now.

The M8 is an inertial product developed before the Canon breakthrough in FF.
Would you buy it?

Best,
Bob?

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:Leica M8?)