Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital equivalent of 135
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Sep 15 10:15:03 2006

Hi Larry,
This is a quote from a photographer at the stock agency I belong to:

>>>I think so. 10-12 mp is as good as 35mm film and a lot of shooters do
not want to do the post processing on a 16-22 meg file. Think of the
poor photojournalist who has to wrestle with 1,000 images of a
football game and then FTP them back to the office in a hurry. 10-12
mp will cover a full page and that is all they need.

A few commercial studio photographers will probably opt for a 50 meg
hasselblad setup.<<<<<<<

And another from the same group"
>>> With the announcement from Pentax, Canon, Olympus, and soon Leica
> digital M at Photokina of their new 10 mp slr camera's I wonder if the
> industry > is going to settle more or less on 10-12 mp as a standard?<<<<

Surely this pixel size is going to level out and as offered in the above
maybe we're beginning to see it happen. If 10-12 megapixel is the same as
shooting film why would it be necessary to make it higher and higher just
for the sake of numbers and cost? Possibly pricing the gear out of reach to
many potential buyers.

I suppose there's a profit driven reason to some of it, but if as offered,
the 10-12 is similar resolution as film why would we as shooters want more
and more bigger and bigger?  Quite frankly when most of us can hardly afford
to pop $5000 grand for an M8, let alone 3 of them.:-(

At what point does anyone see or feel a practical level will be reached? And
what size do you think it might be. And why should it be bigger and bigger?

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4